by Biljana Likic
A couple months ago, we asked you guys what you wanted to see more of on LTWF. One of the comments, reinforced by similar comments, was this:
“TymCon: You could give a weekly/monthly writing prompt and then judge the stories and declare a winner.”
We’re not quite at the point of a contest yet, and none of these are going to be judged, but today I wanted to experiment with this prompt idea.
So here’s today’s exercise.
Choose your favourite prompt and run with it.
1. You’re walking down the street and you bump into a person. Their first response towards you is desperate flirtation.
2. You’re at a carnival and in line for a shoot-em-up. You unwittingly pick up a real gun.
3. You’re a spy who’s just been caught selling secrets via dating websites. You have one last chance to cover it up.
4. You didn’t intend on kidnapping anyone.
5. A telephone rings. You don’t own a telephone.
CHECK IT: If ideas run dry, but you don’t feel you’ve exploited the prompt enough, add [Cont.] to the end and invite somebody else to pick it up.
CHECK IT SOME MORE: Fun fact I’ve noticed while writing this post. Prompts are hard to come up with. I challenge you to put any that come to mind in the comments.
Have fun, and don’t be shy!
Biljana Likic is an aspiring author, currently revising her first novel, TIME IS A FUNNY THING. She just graduated high school and is on her way to university where she can’t wait till she’s out so she’ll finally have all the time in the world to write. You can visit her blog here.