THAT’S RIGHT… IT’S THE RETURN OF THE
Hey all! It’s been a month since the last Saturday Grab Bag (can you believe it?), but it feels good to be putting them together again. I just wanted to include a quick little note saying thanks to everyone for all the wonderful congratulatory comments while I was away getting hitched – and that it feels GREAT to be back!
– Vanessa Di Gregorio (Campbell!)
Here are some great links on writing, the industry, and all things book related. Some are serious, and some are just downright hilarious. We highly recommend you read them!
- How to Get 100% Full-Request Rate
- So You Want to Write a Novel
- ‘T’ Shirts
- Publishing 911
- James Frey’s Fiction Factory
- Definitive List of Clichéd Dialogue
- One-Trick Pony
- 10 Ways to Create a Plot Twist
- I Value The Arts
– Warning: you will laugh hysterically. And you will laugh out loud. If there is one link you should click and read in this entire post, it is this one. And then you will know exactly how to get agents to fall over their feet to sign you.
– A Youtube video that will make you laugh!
– Attention all typography lovers! These aren’t your ordinary t-shirts – these are t-shirts that pay homage to different typographies! You need to click this link to really see what I mean.
– And… more hilarity! A blog post featuring a ‘transcript’ between the Operator at Publishing 911, and the various callers. Read it: you’ll love it.
– Okay okay. Time to get serious here, folks. You’ve probably already heard about this, but for those who haven’t, get ready to be appalled. Frey’s controversial publishing company, Full Fathom Five, is hiring authors – and taking advantage of them.
– Yes, that’s right. A list of clichéd dialogue. (And you know what… I’m totally guilty of some of those lines in my past works. Who knows… there might be some in my current WIP! Dun dun dunnn).
– This is a great post! And looks at something that most (if not all) writers worry about at some point; that you’re just a one-trick pony.
– I don’t know about you, but I’m a HUGE fan of lists; and this article delivers! Awesome post (complete with Star Wars reference, too!).
– This was a special request from one of our readers in the UK. I Value The Arts is an online petition against the cutting of funding for the arts in the UK. So if you’re interested in joining the cause to protect the arts, you can register and show your support on this site.
“Sure, it’s simple, writing for kids… Just as simple as bringing them up.”
— Ursula K. LeGuin
“This manuscript of yours that has just come back from another editor is a precious package. Don’t consider it rejected. Consider that you’ve addressed it ‘to the editor who can appreciate my work’ and it has simply come back stamped ‘Not at this address’. Just keep looking for the right address.”
— Barbara Kingsolver
What We’re Reading:
Vanessa: Delirium by Lauren Oliver
Sammy: The Mockingbirds by Daisy Whitney
Sarah: Changeless by Gail Carriger
Savannah: The Buffalo Soldier by Chris Bohjalian
Julie: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Susan: World War Z by Max Brooks
Mandy: Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly
Kat: Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Vee: Fury by Shirley Marr
Jenn: The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett
Happy first weekend of December! If you’ve come across any great links/quotes, share them in the comments! And let us know what you’re reading, too! (We love discussing books!)